Goals

With the arrival of a new year there is always a lot of focus on resolutions and goals.  Goals are good things, they keep me on track and remind me of where I want to be heading.  On the worst of days I could allow myself to settle nicely into a blanket of worry or I can remember the goals that I have set for myself and get back on the course for achieving that.  Without a goal or a plan it's too easy to forget where you are heading.

Lately my thoughts have turned to parenting goals.  What do I want to achieve with my kids?  Obviously I want them to be successful human beings who aren't a drain on society, but what about the bigger picture?  And what steps can I take today to prepare them for success? I have been reading the book 'Weird' by Craig Groeschel and in it he states that 'Our greatest priority as Christian parents is to gradually transfer our children's dependence away from us until it solely rests on God.'  That hit home with me, as my kids are young and extremely dependent on me.  It's up to me (and my husband) to make sure that they have clean diapers and clothes, regular meals, lots of hugs and reassurance but more importantly it's up to us to point them to God.  My ultimate goal for my children is that I want them to know and love Jesus - I want them to live for His glory rather than the world's. 

~ Craig’s ‘List’ for your Kid’s ~

1. Train them to manage God’s money (Proverbs 3:9-10)

2. Train them to carefully select friends (Proverbs 13:20)

3. Train them to watch their words (Proverbs 4:24)

4. Train them to be responsible (Proverbs 6:6-8

5. Train them to guard their minds (Proverbs 23:7)

6. Train them to be generous (Proverbs 11:25)

7. Train them to fear God (Proverbs 1:7)

From ‘Weird’ by Craig Groeschel, Zondervan Publishing


Comments

Popular Posts