Of burdens, opportunities and wisdom

Things I have recently learned:
  • You can't pick your burden.
  • Opportunity is everywhere, but sometimes you don't see the one right under your nose.
  • Wisdom is a wonderful thing.

I'll explain...

For a while now I have been dialoging with God about a specific situation that he has put me in.  In the beginning I really didn't understand why he had chosen to put me there.  I mean, me?  To be very honest, I'm not the person I would put there!  Or here...  But, God, being God - you know - creator of all things - including burdens, opportunity and wisdom - put me there.  Or here.  Whatever.

Feeling like a total fish out of water I asked God to show me what to do next.

So he did.  Or has?

First, I had a dream of a person standing in a group of people.  Only the 'person' was a stalk of wheat and the 'group of people' was a breeze on a mild day.  The wheat was overall standing pretty straight but then a light breeze would come.  Because the wheat was standing alone it was pretty flexible, swaying wherever the breeze pushed it.  The breeze came mostly from one direction so the stalk eventually began to point that way.  But every now and then, right before it would completely bend to that direction the breeze would come from the other direction and help the wheat to regain it's footing so to speak.  Before the end of the dream, God had named the stalk of wheat.

I knew my burden.

I asked God to show me opportunities - and the other night God gave me a whole passel of opportunity but being all flawed and human like I am I wasn't able to see the opportunity that was right under my nose - the wheat stalk.  'My' wheat stalk.

I'm thankful for the burden and the opportunity but really, I've never been here before.  Or perhaps I have but God has not chosen to make it so clear ahead of time.  Either way, I find myself needing wisdom.  So I asked God for that too. 

He sent me to read Proverbs.  And James.

If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.  ~ James 1:5

And that's where I am right now.  Asking God for wisdom and continued opportunity with a wheat stalk.  The wheat stalk that he gave me.

Comments

Popular Posts