Odds and Ends

Just a quick round up of some of the things I have read, seen or heard this past week.  Kind of like the inner dialogue of my brain.  Except if you could really hear that...that would be creepy.

Several years ago I had read this great post about building the culture in your home through furniture.  With that in mind I have tried to put some effort into what not only looks good(ish) but is also functional(ish).  After all, even though some days I feel life the house burning down is the only viable option, most of the time I would like it to be a comfortable place to enjoy.

And speaking of couches, I am planning to start recovering our couch, again, soon.  I love our couch - it is a little larger than normal and a little wider than normal and it's just comfy.  My mom had helped me with a hybrid recover / slip cover project several years ago and it was a great first effort.  But the $15 for twelve yard fabric that I found at a resale shop wasn't made for the project and has pilled and pulled...and it's just time to do it again.  This post and a few others like it have been my inspiration for the couch project.

Paglia: The Dumbing Down of America Began in Public Schools is an interesting read.  "What has happened is these young people now getting into collect have no sense of history - of any kind!  No sense of history. No world geography.  No sense of the violence and barbarities of history. So, they think that the whole world has always been like this, a kind of nice, comfortable world..."  Good stuff to remember when I'm trying to get Miss E do study history.

Any time I have a few minutes to myself (especially in the car) I enjoy catching up on Mom Struggling Well podcasts.  I love Emily's sense of humor and that the purpose of each podcast is that living life includes struggles, but you can struggle well.  Last week's Episode #122 with Elise Hurd was thought provoking as usual.  I came away with several thoughts to tuck away for the future and I loved that she talked about remembering your story with the Lord using Joshua 4:20-24.


Joshua 4:20-24
20 And Joshua set up at Gilgal the twelve stones they had taken out of the Jordan.21 He said to the Israelites, “In the future when your descendants ask their parents, ‘What do these stones mean?’ 22 tell them, ‘Israel crossed the Jordan on dry ground.’23 For the Lord your God dried up the Jordan before you until you had crossed over. The Lord your God did to the Jordan what he had done to the Red Sea[b] when he dried it up before us until we had crossed over. 24 He did this so that all the peoples of the earth might know that the hand of the Lord is powerful and so that you might always fear the Lord your God.”


*I do want to note that by linking to any site I am not endorsing the site or it's content.  Just sharing articles that have gotten my brain working lately.

Comments

Popular Posts