Jammies Day

One day last week I was complaining about the fact that we had been up and out the door every morning that week and that I was tired.  I didn't get a whole lot of sympathy but it felt good for me to get the words out there.  I am like that so often with words.  They just have to go somewhere...and normally they just come strolling out of my mouth.  :)

Yesterday marked 16 days IN A ROW that we had to be out of the house, which for some people is perfectly normal.  For me it is not.  I am a home body.  I like to ease into a day with my pajamas on and many days I would be perfectly content to take a shower, put clean jammies back on and continue with my day.

And while some people equate jammies with pure laziness I find that I am most productive on pj days.  I don't think twice about diving into a cleaning project, because I don't care about getting the clothes that I have on dirty.  Whether my days are filled with cuddling and cartoons or knocking things off of my to-do list I am comfortable.  Plus, it saves on laundry!

But some days, like today, a jammies day is pure NEED.  After the marathon that I feel like we have been running the three of us girls NEED a jammies day.  I honestly feel sick to my stomach at the thought of getting dressed and leaving the house.  I know that I need to go to the bank, the post office and grab some groceries...and perhaps at some point today I will be able to handle those things...but right now?  Not so much!

I have so many things that need doing.  Laundry, dishes, floors, sorting mail, problem solving, creating, rearranging...and on and on the list goes.  But I know me.  And I know that none of those things can really happen until I have taken care of myself mentally.  So I am blogging.  And reading.  And talking to my girls - one of whom is so incredibly creative in her story telling this morning!

And slowly, I am feeling like I could go start a load of laundry.  Or take a walk.  Or just be kind because I am not overwhelmed.

The thing is, this has taken me many years to embrace - resting in order to be productive - because trust me, I am no good to anyone when I am a stressed out, on the move mess.  I run over and into things, I forget things, I say words that I really don't want to say.  I am less patient with those I love.  Rest is a good thing - and it's a very needed thing.  The Bible teaches us to do it.  On the seventh day God rested.  Fields need a time of rest in order to produce.  Plants and trees bear fruit only after a season of rest.

So, that's my day.  And my thoughts. 

Comments

  1. I totally get this. Some day I am so tired I just want to cry...but someone needs to go to preschool or it is Sunday morning, or there are ball games. Tired, tired, tired. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!

Popular Posts