don't forget your mama

Last night my mom called to ask me to help her with something.

She knew that I had a busy morning ahead of me but she needed an extra hand.

And I am guessing that she understood my hesitation as though it were an inconvenience, when really it was my brain churning out a plan to make it possible. 

Because it is my pleasure to help her.

So in a little while Grandpa is coming to stay with my girls so that I can give my mom a hand before heading off to MOPS.  Bless the Grandpa's, their patience runs long and they love their grands and my girls are completely blessed to have two wonderful Grandpas.  But seriously, where would be without our Mama's?

I realize in writing this that there are many that read my blog who are not blessed with a mama that lives close, or a mama that they can have a relationship with.  I write not to make your heart hurt or to flaunt what I have.  I am writing to those that have mama's and don't take time to enjoy them.

You see, in the roads of life there is always going to be an obligation to fill, a husband that needs your time, a friend you would like to grab lunch with, ...

There will ALWAYS be something that could demand your time.

And quite seriously, it just isn't 'cool' to have your mama as your friend.  Society seems to have this unwritten law that mama's and mama in law's are something bad, something to be avoided.

I beg to differ. 

In the big moments and in the small, include your mama.  

Because friends will come and go.

Because the things that keep you busy that seem so significant today will one day make you wonder why you even bothered.

Because hopefully, she was your first friend.

Because you need your mom as much as she needs you.

Yep, she might not always have time, energy or desire to run along with your life.

And yep, she might not always say things the way that you want her to say.

But she's your mama. 

Find time to spend time with her. 

Find time to bless her in small ways.

And, if you find yourself disagreeing, do everything you can short of sin to make things right. 

Show her that she is important!

I fail at this. 

So often I fail. 

And I am not saying to put your mama first.  That place belongs to the Lord and then your spouse. 

But don't put her dead last thinking that she will always be there.

Because time is ticking, on your days as well as on hers. 

One day she won't be there.

And you don't want to be filled with 'if onlys". 

Today is the day.

Don't forget your mama!

My mom is one of my closest friends.  She helps me to see things in a perspective that I might not otherwise see them.  She can talk me up when I am feeling down, talk me down when I have a crazy idea, point me back to Jesus when I lose my way.  I can't imagine life without my mom.  And the older that I get, the more I realize that I need that relationship with my mom, just as much as she needs me. 

Because sometimes she is the one that needs a talking up.  Sometimes she needs to be talked down from a crazy idea.  Sometimes she just needs to me to come along and dream with her.  And sometimes SHE needs to be pointed back to Jesus. 

I believe that is why God put us together.  And I am so thankful for my mom.

So please, don't forget your mama today!

Comments

  1. I am a sinner, saved by the wonderful grace of Jesus. I deserve NOTHING, but God in his wondrous grace and mercy blesses me more than I could ever imagine. Children are truly a most wonderful gift from God. They bless me daily with little things and big things. I am amazed at their insight, compassion, intelligence and choices they make. Words can never express what is in my heart. Thank you for your kind words my beautiful daughter.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!

Popular Posts