Potato Soup, the science fiction AND dairy free way!

I read somewhere recently that the secret of a good blogger is to post 2-3 times a week.  I'm on the 2-3 times per month (or less).  Do you think that would count?  hehehe!

Thursday night we celebrated Smiley Girls second birthday.  Can you believe the kid has been making smiles and trouble for two entire years already?  Me either!

Anyway, we celebrated with cupcakes!  Meatloaf cupcakes with mashed potato 'frosting' and then REAL cupcake cupcakes in the shape of...you guessed it!  A cupcake!



(Smiley Girl's "Ha DeeDee" Banner)
Being the wonderful mother that I am I don't have a single picture of the cupcake cake or the meatloaf cupcakes.  They were both cute though.

Just trust me, okay?  Kind of like the cupcake garland that I made to be all Birthday festive.

Anyway, we had a whole bunch of that mashed potato 'frosting' left over and I told TDM that I thought I could turn it into a potato soup.  Make that dairy free potato soup since the mashed potatoes were made without dairy.  A whole lot of olive oil and garlic salt goes a long way towards yumminess!

So, today, thinking of a friend who has hopefully had a baby by now is going to have a baby at any time now and wanting to bless their dairy free family with a meal that everyone can eat I decided to try my hand at using up the mashed potatoes.

Enter Google, and the Pioneer Woman, and a quick check of the fridge and viola!  I give you carrots, celery, onion and ham simmering in chicken broth.  PW is the one who gave me the idea for the additonal veggies and the simmering - because every good thing seems to start with veggies simmering, right?


Remember this post?



Once this is all yummy and tender I will add the bag of remaining 'frosting' - sheesh!  Keep up, would you - that's code for 'mashed potatoes'.

With a dash of salt and pepper and a few more splashes of chicken broth I will have a huge pot of potato soup that is dairy free.  I just might be getting good at this science fiction stuff!

And for a final laugh, I just want to share Martha Stewart's opinion on bloggers.  Ignore the ad and skip to about 1:43 in the video.  Now, I don't consider myself a food blogger, or really even a 'real' blogger for that matter but this made me laugh.  I may not have a pedigree in cooking but I do know a thing or two about using every teeny last bit of something that is in our fridge in a way that you wouldn't necessarily know that it had previously been something else.

:)






Comments

Popular Posts