Jonah

Last night Miss E and I were reading from her favorite book, which happens to be The Jesus Storybook Bible.  It is one of my favorites too - because it is written so well and I love the illustrations.  We have two very favorite stories - David and Goliath and Jonah and the Whale.

It was Jonah and the Whale that got me thinking after reading it last night.  I feel like I am onboard the ship with Jonah!  (See Jonah, Chapter 1 in a big persons Bible or page 160 of The Jesus Storybook Bible.)  I don't know if I can really explain why I feel that way, just that I do. 

But more than anything, the problem that I am having is with being mentally on board that dumb ship.  I don't know who I am, as in what role I am supposed to play!

I don't think I'm Jonah.  I am not knowingly running away from something that God has told me to do but there is the possibility that I am not hearing something He is telling me or have forgotten something that He told me to do in the past. 

I don't think I'm a sailor.  Mainly because I am not praying to other gods, but also because I don't know that there is any one on 'my' ship who needs to be thrown overboard.

I'm certainly not the Captain, because I suspect that that dude had some clue where he was heading and seriously, I have no idea a destination for myself.  Or anyone else, for that matter.  And, obviously I mean that statement to be a destination in this world, I know I'm heaven bound eventually!

So I keep playing Jonah's story over and over in my head and wondering why God has impressed it on my heart the way that He has.  Am I Jonah?  Is there something that needs my obedience?  Am I one of the sailors?  Is there something or someone in my life that needs to go overboard?

I would kind of like to get this figured out before I land in a crazy whale's belly.  I'm not really fond the smell of seafood.   Ugh.

Jonah, Chapter 1
12 Jonah said, “Throw me overboard, into the sea. Then the storm will stop. It’s all my fault. I’m the cause of the storm. Get rid of me and you’ll get rid of the storm.”
13 But no. The men tried rowing back to shore. They made no headway. The storm only got worse and worse, wild and raging.
14 Then they prayed to God, “O God! Don’t let us drown because of this man’s life, and don’t blame us for his death. You are God. Do what you think is best.”
15 They took Jonah and threw him overboard. Immediately the sea was quieted down.

Comments

Popular Posts