Proverbs 31 Lady

Proverbs 31 has been on my mind off and on for about a year.  Well, really, a lot longer than that, but in the last year it has been on my mind in the form of 'I GET to be a Proverbs 31 woman' instead of the thinking that I could never compete with her.

In a few minutes of quiet yesterday morning I printed off a copy of Proverbs 31 from the internet - so that I could write all over it and just spent some time reflecting on what the words really say.  Here are some of my thoughts:




I'll write it out for you so you don't have to be all squinty eyed and guessing about what I'm trying to spell! 

She:
  • is confident!
  • is aware of who she is as a child of God
  • meets her husband's needs - she is respectful, loving, cares for his physical needs and protects his reputation
  • makes good choices for her family based on their needs rather than the demands of people or culture
  • takes care of herself through quiet time with the Lord and keeping herself healthy
  • practices prudence in all that she does
  • prepares meals for her family and any one else under her care
  • treats other people fairly
  • doesn't procrastinate
  • is gracious
  • is Faith filled!
  • is creative
  • she doesn't bad mouth her husband because she's having a bad day
  • she is who she is because of God, and she relies on Him to give her the ability to do what needs doing
  • doesn't get caught up in gossip
  • keeps a God centered perspective
  • recognizes God's provision for His children
  • knows what she needs to recharge and refuel herself - and she does it!
  • she meets the needs of her family in a pertinent way - she doesn't buy them a swimsuit when they need a blanket

Now, after reading that list who wouldn't want to be that woman?  She's like the lady who is all put together, smile on her face and nothing can ruin her day because she isn't doing it on her own strength!  God is working through her!

I'm human and I struggle daily.  I don't always take the time that I need to refresh myself so that I can be the wife and mom that I need to be.  Getting up early to spend time with the Lord is not high on my to-do list but it is important that I take time at some point each day to get my focus in the right place. 

The demands of this world are SO many but I don't for a minute think that God is telling us that the 'perfect' woman is involved in everything that the world tells us we need to be.  I simply cannot be a perfect mom, married to a perfect man with perfect children, who are dressed perfectly, eat only balanced, nutritious meals and are involved in every class, sport and opportunity there is while I work a full time job and maintain a beautiful home.

I can be the woman that God created me to be though!  I can surround myself with reminders of who and what my priorities are.  I can be practical and prudent with our family's resources, yet recognize that some things have outlived their usefulness for our family (last week's pork chop might cause food poisoning, our garage doesn't have to be piled high with things that might save us time or money one day, things that we have always done don't always have to be done, etc..)

I'm still thinking about the Proverbs 31 lady, but's its in a different light than ever before.  That lady is quite a bit like this lady, even though this lady (me) has a lot of areas that need some work. 

Work, that thankfully, God is in the business of doing!


Comments

Popular Posts