Reflections on Psalm 1

As a busy mom and 'office girl' as Miss E puts it, I sometimes have to grab what I can grab when I can grab it.  Sorry if this is TMI - but yesterday I caught a few minutes with my Bible while in the bathroom.  (Come on, I KNOW that I'm not the only one who has done this!)

As I read through the first chapter of Psalm I realized two things - one, that I needed to spend more time reflecting on the verses in it and two, that it is so relevant to me after what has been happening in my heart this week.

Psalm 1
  1  Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers.
  2  But his delight is in the law of the Lord and on His law he meditates day and night.
  3  He is like a tree planted by the streams of water, which yield fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither.  Whatever he does prospers.
  4  Not so the wicked!  They are like chaff that the wind blows away.
  5  Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous.
  6  For the Lord watches over the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish.

I think what hits the most about this chapter is how clearly it shows that LIFE is the opposite of death.  Someone filled with LIFE doesn't hang out with death.  Someone filled with LIFE bears fruit and new branches, where death brings nothing.  Barrenness, withering, dead parts blowing away.  LIFE will be recognized and judged.  Death won't even get a second look. 

If I am filled with life through Jesus, then why hold onto death?  Why continue where God has clearly shown me not to?  If life isn't present then it's death, right?  There is no life support for a relationship with Jesus and those who believe there is - you know, the wicked, the sinners and the mockers, are in for a big shock when judgment day comes and they aren't even invited to the party.  You are either alive in Him or you are dead.  Period.

I have been asking God for direction for months and He has been giving me an answer.  And He was kind enough to gently clarify His answer when I asked.  This girl is choosing LIFE and the fruit that it promises!

Comments

Popular Posts