Kitchen Day

We came into a supply of jellied cranberry sauce last week and yesterday morning I thought I would look for a recipe to use it in a way that it would be likely to be eaten.  Realizing how easily this recipe would go together I figured I would seize the day cranberries!


Cranberry Crunch Squares1
(16 ounce) can jellied cranberry sauce
2 1/3 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 5/8 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup butter, melted

Directions
* Combine the oats, flour, brown sugar and butter. Stir until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
* Press half of the crumb mixture into the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan
* Spread cranberry sauce over the crumbs
* Spread remaining crumbs over cranberry sauce
* Bake at 350 degrees 25 minutes. Cool and cut into squares.

Five steps!  And you can't go wrong with butter and brown sugar mixed together!

While that was baking I remembered that I had written down a recipe that my friend Liz shared on her blog and wanted to try it.  I ended up making a half recipe because I didn't have enough honey to make a full batch, and since I didn't have flaxseed meal, so I just added a bit more oatmeal and called it good.  Yum!  When Tim gets home I'll have him give them a try and if they pass his taste test I will make another batch to send with him to hunting camp.

Next up came a chocolate cake which I plan to turn into peanut butter cake balls later this week.  I always love when I'm baking a cake for this purpose and I realize that it is so perfectly baked and all that I'm going to do is mutilate it.  The irony and yumminess of it.

And before the day wass done I dealt with the pie pumpkins that have been in the garage since halloween when our MOPS group used them as bowling balls.  Roasting, pureeing and freezing - horray!  Nine cups of pumpkin puree is now waiting in the freezer.

I love productive kitchen days!

Comments

Popular Posts