Right

Sometimes I want to be right so badly that I will sacrifice everything in my path in order make sure that I get to be right.

Wow, huh?

Earlier this week I was reminded of this selfishness.  I was pretty well on my way to losing something big just because I wanted to be right.  And in the heat of the moment I was so caught up in being right that I lost track of why I wanted to be right.  Or the consequences of being right.

Oh, the consequences that I sometimes could suffer for being right.

It's just ugly.

I never really knew that it was my desire to be right that got me into so much trouble until earlier this year.  While surfing a Christian speakers website I came across a morning prayer that details how to pray - and what to pray against.  The first two things that it advised laying down are the right to be appreciated and the right to be right.  That hit me square in the face because that's my problem!

Just because I am right a lot of the time doesn't mean that I always get to be right or that I even want to be right - because the consequences of being right aren't very nice some times.  It's a pretty nasty trap that I fall into.

Thankfully, God knows this battle and He is good to remind me about this tendency.  He sat me down in a chair the other day and our conversation went a lot like this -

Me:  (whiny voice) I want to be right!
God: Why?
Me:  Because I KNOW that I am.
God:  Really?  Are you sure?  Because if you are 'right' but end up being wrong you hurting other people.
Me: (gulp) But I like to be right.
God: Even if it hurts others?

1 Peter 2:23b 'Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly' came to mind.

(Gulp)

God has this!  I don't have to be right.  I don't even really want to be after all - even though I kind of do just so that I can say that I am.  I don't have to be right...I have to give it to God to deal with. 

I can do that - He doesn't make nearly as many messes as I do!

Comments

Popular Posts