Birthday Hell and Traditions

Those of you who are close to me know that I refer to the first 17 days of July as Birthday Hell.  I know that it's not very nice but it pretty well sums up my feelings about the rapid rate that birthdays happen this time of year.  Four birthdays.  Ten days.  And enough cake to make it not even taste good any more.

In years past, the melancholy-choleric in me has rebelled against four celebrations.  When we first married it was decided that we would celebrate both of our birthdays with my family on my birthday and with TDM's family on his birthday.  It seemed like a good plan.  But it still means two birthday celebrations within four days of each other.  Add in TDM's brothers children who celebrate in July as well and we are literally eating cake every time we turn around.  Before my kids were born I was a working woman, often frustrated by having to end my work day early in order to celebrate another birthday when we had literally JUST all been together.  Why couldn't we streamline this birthday thing?  Do one celebration and take care of everyone in one shot for pete's sake?  I could get back to work accomplishing things and I wouldn't have to be sick of cake. 

And then I had kids.

Well, up until last year I was still on the streamline birthday hell thought pattern.  This year, particularly tonight, I realized that there is a reason that we do birthdays this way.  Everyone in TDM's family has a birthday celebration.  It's a tradition.  And while I may not care that much about keeping traditions for the sake of traditions I do appreciate that it's something that my girls will have to look forward to.  Now that Miss E is 3 birthdays are serious business.  And seeing a birthday through her eyes has given me a new perspective on celebrating birthdays the way we do.  Everyone is special.  Everyone gets to blow out their own set of candles.  It's tradition.

I just might be inclined to rename July.  Maybe.

Comments

Popular Posts