My next thing

It's a funny thing, the way that an idea will begin.  I will be working on something, usually at the kitchen sink, and little thoughts begin to become bigger thoughts.  It usually begins with thoughts about something I have read recently and the points that spoke to me filtered through truths that I know.   I find inspiration in that place.

And I struggle with wanting to re-write what I read to make it mine, not to steal, just to capture the printed word and customize it to my heart.

But I can't.

They wouldn't be my words.

They would forever be someone else's that I took.

And here is the thing -

That's okay.

Because that author said yes to the ideas and truths that formed her heart.  And I can take from them to learn and grow, but they will never be mine.

That path wasn't mine from the start.

And it's a funny thing  - of choosing the right path and saying yes and knowing that the things I said yes to were created to be mine - that leads to contentment.

And while contentment can easily be pushed away by wants and the world, that place of contentment is where I want to stay.

So this morning as a ruminate on these words:


And the truth that God is in it all, and that His plan doesn't end with this world.

Because we spoke of the bigger goal of family the other day and it is good to be reminded that every choice we make affects that family.  Everything I say yes to.  Everything I turn away from.  Every sacrifice we both make.  Every time we seek the Lord.  Every everything.

And I find comfort there.

Comfort that for today, my next step is to do the next thing.

To start another load of laundry, to hang it on the line.

To dress my hoodlums and head out to see friends.

To make a grocery list.

To take time to laugh with cute girls and to point their hearts toward God.

To pray with their Daddy over the things that touch his heart.

To seek God in each step.

Because this is a life created by the One with the Master Plan.  And while I don't know every road this life will take, He does.  And slowly we are making the life intended for us.

One next thing at a time.

One yes to the things that are mine.

One yes to the people placed in my care.

One yes to my Creator.

Comments

Popular Posts