Of sentiments and sagginess

TDM had to take care of an out of town errand yesterday and we made a family trip out of it.  Well, most of the family.  Miss E was camped out at Anna & Papa's house with no intention of coming home even a second before she had to.  Smiley Girl fell asleep a few miles outside of town and the combination of sunshine, riding next to my favorite man and a sleeping child made it really feel more like a mini-date than a mission. 

After our normal dose of bugging the snot out of each other, because that's what we do best, TDM got a tad sentimental.

"Ten years" he said.  "It feels like two."

And I agreed.  Because it does.  And it feels like twenty.  And the blink of an eye.  All rolled into one.

He continued "We were young and full of life.  And now we are just old.  And saggy."

Which then lead into a conversation about how and where a 90 year old woman with breast implants would sag.

We are pretty mushy like that, you know?  But it was fun to think back in time for a minute.  Because we were young, even though we felt old.  And we were filled with a lifetime full of someday dreams.  And now we stand a decade down that road and most of those someday dreams are our reality.  And God has taken care of us each step of the way. 

Every time that our eyes came off of Him and every time that calling it quits seemed like the answer.  Every time we questioned the reason.  Every bad choice.  Every season of rebuilding.  Every single step.  He has been there.  And I am so thankful.

Because it has been ten years of hard.  And ten years of I would totally do it again.  Ten years of holding each other's hand - us against the world.  And whether the struggles were personal, financial, spiritual or the ugliness of infertility.  Or my spiral of depression that we both had to walk.  TDM never gave up on me.  And God never gave up on us.  

And it wasn't until I was laying in bed last night with this husband of mine beside me that I realized that yesterday WAS an anniversary.  Not our 10th - that isn't until next month.  It was our 12th.  And how thankful I am that those first date jitters are a thing of the past. 

We wandered around looking at boats - I really liked the pontoons.  And I saw a Thunderbird up close.  And we went to Wiltse's.  And he impressed me because his truck was spotless.  Spotless!  And we talked for hours.  And my heart fluttered with hope.  Could this be the man I had prayed for? 

And it wasn't long until that first had multiplied into many.  And the truck was no longer clean.  But I didn't care.  Because I knew that this was a man who would hold my heart.  And my forever.  And trucks didn't matter.  Only being together did.

Only being together does.

Comments

Popular Posts