Casseroles and Adversity

We eat a lot of casseroles for dinner.  My kids don't like them.


And being the mean mom that I am, I don't really care.

1} Why Casseroles?

Because why not love a one pot wonder that can make leftovers look like new food, shave big bucks off your budget, be prepped early in the day, baked prior to serving and the leftovers reheat in 45 seconds?

Seriously.

2} Why don't my kids like them?

Because they are kids.  They don't really know what they like.  And they hate everything.  And because kids taste everything with their eyes.  None of which are valid reasons for me to change my cooking.

3}  Why don't I care?

Bottom line?  Because I believe that life is made up of a lot of things that they will have little to no control over and that there is no time like the present to learn some coping skills. 

Sure, they may not like everything set before them but there is usually something that they do like hidden in there.  On tonight's menu is Tater Tot Casserole.  They may not like gravy or vegetables but on any given night one kid will usually like ground beef while the other one favors tater tots. 

You see, I am of the mindset that there is something good to be found in everyone.  Or in every thing.  And in every casserole.

I don't care if they grow up and never want to eat another casserole.  That's perfectly fine with me.  But I DO care if they grow up having never been made to deal with adversity (yes, I know that I am talking tater tots here!) or disappointment.

One of my favorite sayings is on a plaque in our kitchen.

"Gratitude can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend."

It's good stuff.  Because I think it is a small part of a bigger picture.

Psalm 118:24 says "This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." 

That's the picture I focus on.  I may not like every day, but I can rejoice in it because God made it.  I may not like every meal, but I can be thankful for it and find the good in it, because God provided it.

And my kids might not like the subtle lesson that they are learning via casserole but I am guessing that one random day in the future they might realize that there was something bigger than a casserole going on.

~

If you are interested:

Tater Tot Casserole (dairy free)

3/4 to 1 lb browned ground beef
2/3rds of a bag of frozen mixed vegetables
enough frozen tater tots to cover the top
gravy

Heat and stir together 4 Tbsp olive oil and 4 Tbsp flour.  When it becomes a paste gradually add 2 cups of beef broth, salt and pepper and whatever else might sound yummy to you.  I usually add a splash or two of Kitchen Bouquet browning seasoning for a little flavor and color.  Continue stirring and bring to a boil.  Continue stirring until mixture reaches desired thickness.  You can always add a little water if it gets too thick too quickly.

Dump the vegetables and ground beef into an 8x8 baking dish, pour gravy over and then cover the top with tater tots.

Bake until vegetables are warmed through and tater tots are beginning to get crispy.  {425 degrees for 25 minutes is a guideline but you may have to play around to find what works the best for you.  I prefer 375-400 range and allow to bake while children ride their bikes and make a mess waiting for daddy to get home.}

Enjoy!

Ha!  As if anything is that simple!  Clear the table, grab plates and remove baby or toys from underfoot.  Do NOT attempt to set the table.  Ever.  Instead serve from beside the stove and save yourself eons of time in keeping small children away from the table.  Pour drinks.  Clean up at least one spill.  Sit down at the table, pray together, remove small child from underneath table.  Remember drink for yourself.  Sit down prior to remembering salt and pepper.  Don't forget to hide salt and pepper from small child.  Eat.  Explain why whatever food group you are trying to get child to eat is good for them.  Bribe them with laughter.  Or Mr McGregor.  Or whatever it takes to get them to take a few bites.   Get through the meal mama! 

You can do this!  Bed time is only a few short hours away.  So is tomorrow...but just focus on bed time.  By tomorrow morning you will love those little darlings with your whole heart all over again.  Because God's mercies...kind of like casserole recipes...are new every morning!

Comments

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!

Popular Posts