Goodbye Summer

I can't believe that Summer is over, but the crisp, cool mornings are telling me that it is. Thankfully cool mornings grow into warmer afternoons so I can still get away with flip flops.  Granted, I left the house yesterday morning with flip flops and a heavy sweater but I am not ready to give up the flip flops any time soon.  Every year the transition from summer to fall amazes me.  It feels as though someone literally 'flips' a switch over the course of Labor Day weekend.

August was pretty busy for us.  My parents took a month long siesta to Montana where they were able to relax and enjoy some of the things that they don't get to do on a daily basis at home.  Like enjoying God's creation.  Attending a Rodeo in Cody, Wyoming. Building a doll house for Miss E.  Sewing Princess dresses for Miss E and Smiley Girl. Going to Hobby Lobby for ONE piece of paper.  (Those who have never lived in the north will not understand the hugeness of that luxury!)  And it would seem that they took a nap.  Every day.

I'm so jealous.

With my mom off napping and creating, that left things at our office very quiet.  There was no one to talk to, except the occasional phone call to a Township Treasurer and my uncle stopping by to pick raspberries.
Thank goodness for Pandora radio!  Going from the noise of my house to absolute quiet was wonderful! But at times the quiet was distracting considering that at my house quiet means that little hands are about to get themselves in trouble.

Oh, there was a guy on a golf cart that went by every day with his dogs.  One dog sat quietly while the other one barked up a storm.  That was pretty entertaining.

I broke my babysitter's leg one morning.  That was pretty exciting.  And I suppose to be perfectly honest, I didn't break it but I feel horrible!  We have been blessed with new friends who have 12 and 15 year old daughters.  They are perfect summer babysitters for the days that TDM was able to work for a local farmer.  Well, one morning I picked up the 12 year old, took her and my kids to the office, sat down to open the mail, checked email and then heard crying.  I quickly determined that the crying wasn't one of my kids and didn't really sound like the 12 year old but thankfully I checked anyway and discovered that the tree swing that Smiley Girl had been riding on with the babysitter had broken.  And so had the babysitter's leg.  Ouch!  Lucky girl, she got to start a brand new school this week rocking a bright orange cast.  :(

Miss E and I snuck away one evening to the county fair.  And we had a blast! She was able to ride every ride that she wanted along with her cousins who we found while we were there.  We ate sno-cones, played carnival games and just enjoyed hanging out together.  It was pretty amazing to spend some time with Miss E away from her sister and just be able to focus on the little girl that she is growing into.

Smiley Girl has become quite the conversationalist.  I sneeze, she says "Yeah?" and cocks her head to the side awaiting a reply.  That's basically her version of "You okay?"  Once you give her an answer she goes about her business.  She also likes to tell stories.  With her mouth and her hands.  When she takes a break one of us, even Miss E will ask "Is there anything else you want to say?" and she will respond with either 'no' or another chapter of her story.

Miss E started preschool this week.  Considering that the teacher commented to me that she cannot believe how much Miss E talks and Miss E demonstrated what her teacher had shown her about what to do with her mouth (which was basically to zip it) I'm guessing that it was a smashing success!  Miss E did love it and looks forward to going again next week.  And the next.  And the week after that.  :)  Between preschool two days a week, her Sunday school class and MOPS every other week it would seem that her social calendar is blooming.

My mom and my brother share a birthday this coming Sunday and for the first time in almost forever I will get to spend the day with both of them.  TDM isn't able to go but the girls and I, along with my parents are heading north to spend some time with Uncle Pedro and Aunt GG.  That's pretty exciting stuff.



Comments

Popular Posts