Fruit in season

Over and over again I feel like I find myself back in Psalm 1, it feels like God has been continually pressing it into my heart.  And I keep asking the Lord to show me what He has for me there, as well as what He has for me in general at this stage, this season, of life.

This morning I sat down to read for a few minutes and, of course(!) I found myself at Psalm 1.  I made it all the way to verse 5 and six words to "tree planted by streams of water which yields its fruit in season" when I realized that for today, that is exactly what God intended for me to see. 

I began to think about trees, specifically lilac bushes because they are in full bloom every where right now.  Technically I'm not even sure if that is really a tree or just a bush, but for the sake of this post I'm not going to Google it, I'm just going to call it a tree.

Anyway, all year long the tree is in our yard.  It's center is sturdy and it leafs out for part of the year.  But it only bears actual lilacs for a very short season - I'm guessing about two to three weeks.  Pretty short lifespan for lilac fruit, huh?

But that isn't what really stuck out to me - it was the fact that for eleven and a half months of the year the tree isn't bearing fruit because it isn't the right season!

God's timing and my timing are so vastly different!  But God is working...my leaf isn't withering.  It is growing slowly, day by day, fed by time spent with God, absorbing His words, doing His will, until He declares it the right season.

I'm living in my eleven and a half months - and I could be on day one, or I could be on day 187.  OR, thinking of 2 Peter 3:8 into consideration, today could be the first day of a day that lasts one thousand years.  :)  But whatever day it is I can rest in the knowledge that God has a life cycle planned for me that will bear fruit in season.

This really spoke to my heart this morning, and gave me clarification that I have been needing.  For this season of life my focus is three part - God, my husband and my children.  If there is room for something else without sacrificing those I will participate, but I'm pretty sure that keeping these three in their proper perspective will keep me plenty busy.

Living in my eleven and a half months...


Comments

Popular Posts