In which I discuss curation.

If you've been around long enough you know that I love looking words up in the dictionary.  Better yet, after I have looked them up I roll the definitions around in my head for a bit as a way to strengthen my understanding of the word. 

That brings me to 'Curate'.  Several weeks ago I had a message land in my inbox that linked to a video that I spent a few minute watching.  In that video the idea of curating your social media feeds was mentioned.  My first two thoughts about this subject were 1: "What a super idea!" and 2: "But don't I need to see both sides of the story to make a sound decision?" 

And that brings me to today's post. 

Thought #1 is from my heart.

Thought #2 is from the chatterbox. 

My heart knows what refreshes me.  It knows what I need to feel alive, purposeful and at peace.

The chatterbox has two motives: Make me doubt. Steal that peace.

My heart knows that I feel connected and that I smile when I see moments of a friends life.  My heart knows that it feels encouraged when happy thoughts are shared.

The chatterbox knows that I feel discouraged and sad when I see friends arguing, when I see an agenda being pushed, when I feel that I can't share my thoughts for fear of attack. 

My heart is the one to follow.

The chatterbox belongs in the trash.

So, curate, curating, curated...

  • Taking charge of a collection
  • Organizing
  • Pulling together
  • Sifting through
  • Selecting for presentation
In a museum these things are done for the enjoyment of the viewer...why not in a life too?

And that began anew the journey toward silencing certain voices that robbed a little of each days joy.  It began again the journey of taking a closer look at what I allow to take my time.  And truthfully, it led to some clicks on the 'hide' and 'unfriend' button.  

We live in a world of utter madness.  Our digital lives should be ones that reflect our own interests.  It should reinforce our beliefs and encourage our days.  We should be looking for things that build us up rather than tear us down.  There are so so many arguments taking place through keyboards right now.  Choose to stop.  Choose to curate the collection.  Choose the things, voices and causes that bring you joy.  

I'll leave with this final thought on curating.  It isn't mine, but one as old as time and from the source of all written wisdom...

Philippians 4:8-9 (MSG)

Summing it all up, friends, I'd say you'll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious - the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse.  Put into practice what you learned from me, what you heard and saw and realized.  Do that, and God, who makes everything work together, will work you into his most excellent harmonies. 


Comments

Popular Posts