CCG, Circa 2008

Tonight my thoughts are all over the place and I'm not even sure that this post will ever see the light of day but I feel like I have to at least try to get what is on my mind and my heart into printed words.  I suppose I will begin with some history, which is that when I was pregnant with Smiley Girl a sweet friend of ours was killed in a motorcycle accident.  Today would have been his 24th birthday.

Today for me started with a few minutes watching the news where the breaking news was of a deadly motorcycle accident in a nearby county this morning.  I could only think of the mans family and of our friends who have lived the horror of losing their son.  Logging onto Facebook, I realized that today was Justin's birthday and was reminded that today would be a difficult day for those he left behind. 

As the day went on, I was reminded in so many ways to hold Justin's family in prayer.  Every where I went today I seemed to be following a motorcycle and could hear Justin's mama saying 'That boy is going to break his mother's heart.'  Miss E innocently (and truthfully unknowingly) asked about Justin's parents today.  Completely random because they no longer live near us and aren't as much of a part of our lives as they have been in the past.

So it has been a day of prayer and memories, but so many of the memories that I have of Justin are surrounded by memories of other young people who were part of our life before Miss E was born.  So today I find myself remembering Justin, but also a culture born of a group of college kids and those who attempted to keep them busy for a few months.

I'm reminded of a canoe trip, a scavenger hunt, a costume party, a cinnamon challenge and then boom! that time in life was over.  Everyone ended up going different directions in a really short amount of time.  We added kids, one couple split.  A couple of the young guys lost their jobs, some joined the military.  One became a hippie for a while.  Three of them have gotten married, two of them to each other.  One is in heaven.

It has been four years and there have been so many changes.  But tonight I'm overwhelmed by the memories of that sweet group of young people, and I am blessed that God  allowed TDM and I to be a part of their lives for a short period of time.   We get to be 'in' on some of the stories that will be told forever.  That makes me smile.

Comments

  1. Thanks for this post...Sitting here with that "mama" on the couch at their new home in VA with tears streaming down our cheeks.

    We do miss that boy and yes, he did break our hearts. Wonderful memories and so thankful you have been a part of our lives!!

    Love and miss you - keep writing, Laura, you're fantastic :)

    Love, Rachie
    aka "That boys" sis :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Laura... I never had the privilege of meeting Justin but I have seen the impact his presence (and loss) made to so many people. His family, especially that amazing warrior Momma, holds a very special place in my heart. <3

    ~joi~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!

Popular Posts